2013/11/02

My nursing skills suck



















As my close rescue friends will tell you I am not good with the sick and injured dogs. I can work with them but I do much better with behavior issues.  I am not squeamish and I do not panic but I do get scared. I am always worried about keeping up with all the medical needs they will have. I worry about forgetting meds as I forget mine own a lot. I want them to be healthy and happy.   I worry about their comfort while they recuperate. It can cause me a lot of distress as I can not sit with them all day and make sure they are doing well. My nursing skills suck to say the least.
Now working with a dog that has had surgery for skin cancer  has challenged me in every way. I have put all the other dogs needs on hold as I have gone the whole 9 yards and made myself crazy taking care of this dogs needs as he continues to be himself. I really think he is in so much pain, I  feel bad and coddle him. Now Mako is or is not feeling pain, I can only imagine how I would feel and I am a wimp. Now I think he took advantage of me, that being said the little bastard has drove me nuts. I kicked all the other dogs out of my bed so I could watch him and make sure he was comfortable all night I lost sleep worrying about him. He took over the entire king size bed as I tried to not bother him. Then second night after surgery I awoke to something touching my nose. In my drug induce sleep I swatted at the thing bothering my nose and my hand hit something and sound of a plastic bowl hitting something brought me out of sleep totally and I opened my eyes and the first thing I see is Mako's nose on mine and my head is inside the damn dogs cone of shame he is wearing to keep him from pulling at his stitches. Now this is what scary movies are made of. For all the folks who sleep with their pets they know the feeling of waking up to one end or the other of the pet, shoved in their face.  The second night my dogs where not having any part of being shoved out of bed and started the whimpering whining that keeps you up all night. By the third night I needed sleep so I opened up the bed to all but Sipan to come and sleep with us. This did not fair any better for a good night sleep as there was so much grumbling going on all night long. Gerrrrrr he touched me, Gerrrr his butt is in my face, Gerrrrr I was in that spot, Gerrrr who farted, and so on as the growl's continued through the night. Hell these dogs are grouchier than I am when I need sleep. The forth night Mako went back to the couch by himself and life returned to some kind of normalcy. To keep the big dogs apart I have gated off rooms all the way through my house and one has a little door to allow the little dogs to move about with a little more freedom and keep big dog separated.

Now the stitches are gone along with the cone and we found that Mako's determination to get into things has him squeezing through the little door to get to kitchen. He can get out of his cage and his nose is always looking for food. He opens the cupboard and helps himself to what ever he finds.  He is not a counter surfer but he is a counter sweep. He just drags his nose and lips along the top edge of the counter as he walks along on his hind legs, scoffing up any little smug,crumb or sandwich he can find. He gets his spot on the couch and will chase off any of the other dogs who are on the couch no matter where they are. He just thinks its his. Now he will come up to us and try to wiggle himself between us and the couch or chair we are sitting in. He is a master at this as we are not even aware of him till his 38 lbs of flesh has taken over our spot and we are being squeezed. He is healed and I am not so worried about his surgery any more,  he is just a bigger version of a Damn dog, and sick or not they are all the same and my sanity is still in need of help.

No comments:

Post a Comment