2013/04/28

Rescue



Stepping out side of my comfort zone is something that has not come easy. I have always known that if I never strayed from the norm I would have a not so interesting life. That we must all step outside the box to find excitement, wonder, adventure and test ourselves to the fullest. I find it easier now to do this than before but I will not think about the problems that will come from my actions. I just know I will except what ever they are. This is the only way I can keep going and not get paralyzed with the, What if,  I had a wonderfully not complex life that I did what I wanted when I wanted. I woke up everyday happy and went to bed the same. Now most say what is wrong with that. Everything and nothing, It depends on what you want from life. I did not want my life to be meaningless. So I knew that the comfort zone was a place I must leave. Leave I did. I have never looked back and have no regrets. I try to meet life head on and take it by the horns. The only thing I treat different is my job. I will not make a mistake there. It is too close to start over. I endure and put up with any thing that comes my way on the job. After my 40 hours it is full steam ahead.
In my life I have been taken, struck with awe, and unable to let go of some things.  The Peruvian Inca Orchid dogs of Peru is one of these things. For almost 20 years I have had a love affair with this breed, that I never thought I would be able to see or touch in real life.  I read and investigated them when ever I had a chance. A few people knew of my love for these dogs but I am sure no one knew how intense it is. I love the Chinese Cresteds and will always love them. I have no idea what draws me to the PIO. Last year I found a rescue for the breed and was so excited to think there was a chance for me to get one. I am a rescuer from heart and will not buy a dog I will only rescue no matter how much the money, it has no meaning to me. The fact there there are millions of dogs that need help is what drives this in me. I learned quickly that there really are not any of these dogs to rescue. There are a few mixed and a very few that are cast offs. But the number of people who want these dogs out number the dogs themselves. I settled for just looking at all the pictures of the dogs I so wanted and just kept dreaming.
One day I found a plea on the internet to help a PIO that has been hit by a car. Now at this point there is no looking back. I realize quickly that the dog was not in USA but I was determined to do what ever I could to help. As I became more and more involved I was being sucked down the rabbit hole and was unable to stop myself. This rescue lead me to Peru. I first was trying to get the dog  put on the plane as cargo and shipped to me. I knew that I just could not do this I had to go there and get the dog. There is a language barrier  that I knew was going to be very difficult so I ask my daughter who speaks Spanish to come with me to interpret for me. This was not to be either. She is a permanent   resident of the USA but not a citizen yet. Neither of us thought about the fact that she would need a visa.  I did not need one but she did. She was sent straight back to USA after we landed.  This took both of us by surprise and I knew I must make a decision to stay alone and get the dogs or go back with her. I love my daughter and would put my self in front of a speeding bus to save her. But I also knew she was in no danger just not what we were prepared for. The next four days for her was not so pleasant. She had to go through some tough soul searching during this time.  She did do fantastic even though it was not what she thought this trip would be about.   I went on and found that I could communicate on a very basic level during the process. I met a wonderful fellow rescuer there and stand in awe of this lady who traveled around the city on public transportation with dogs food and medicine in her back pack for dogs in need.   She had a house full of PIO's and got others to help foster these dogs by giving them food and medicine to take care of them while she found homes for them. She is known very well in the PIO dog world of  Lima. She shows the dogs, fosters and rescues them. She is determined to keep the breed from being lost. There is a lot of paper work involved in taking the dogs out of Peru and she helped get this all done for me. I did get to rescue two of these wonderful dogs and am now back in the states with them. My daughter is safe and I am safe our experiences were not the same but she stayed and waited for me in Miami to help get the dogs back to Michigan.  The airlines would not fly the dogs all the way to Michigan as the temperature was below 45 degrees and so I could only get them to Chicago. This just being one more thing to sift through to get these dogs here. I called my friend and ask her to drive 5 hours to Chicago to get us and the dogs back home. I am real sure this is not what she had in mind for the rest of her day. But with out hesitation she jumped into the car and headed for Chicago. I will forever be in debated to these two women and my daughter for standing by me as I went down the rabbit hole of  uncertainty and unable to stop myself. I dragged them with me and never even asked if they wanted to go. I believe that this is true friendship and love, that folks can do the things they did.  I am so happy to have these kinds of friends. I know some times my kids think I love the dogs more than them but this is so far from the truth. I love them even more because they have given up for the dogs. I got on the fright train of desire and never thought about any of the consequences I just knew some where in my soul I needed to do this. To all the people I may have run over, taken advantage of or harmed in any way doing this I am truly sorry for all. It was never my intention to harm anyone just get the dogs. To my kids I do love you more than you can ever know. To all who help me in every way I am so thankful to have such friends as you.
When it comes to the kids and dogs that are in need I throw caution to the wind and jump in and go and to my friends who have stood by me, Thank you all.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on a successful trip! So glad you both made it back safely with the 2 dogs. :) Can't wait to see pictures of everyone at home!

    ReplyDelete